AMFC Members: It’s time! Sign up by Monday, October 6 by calling 322-5300 or stop by Member Services to get yourself on a team. The 8 week season run from Tuesday, October 7 through December 16. It’s just $15 for the full season and playoffs.
Got questions? Talk with the Fitness Specialists on the fitness floor for the inside scoop.
5 Tips to Fuel Your Workout With Nutrition As you know, exercise places many demands on your body. Giving your body the fuel it needs can enhance your workout and your health. Here are some simple tips that can help you maximize your workout with proper nutrition.
- Avoid drinking your calories. Drink water instead. Sugary drinks and artificial sweeteners are unhealthy. Water is a better option to keep you healthy, hydrated and energized. For ways to add flavor naturally, consider slices of lemon, orange or cucumber.
- Enhance your performance with a light meal before working out. Exercising on an empty stomach can prevent you from being able to work out as long or as hard. Fueling up with complex carbohydrates will give your body an endurance boost and increase your performance. Whole grain cereals and breads are good options for fueling up prior to a workout.
- Continue to replenish your body after your workout. A post workout nutrition shake or smoothie can help with muscle recovery and repair. Smoothies and shakes made with fresh fruits and/or veggies and proteins such as whey, nuts and/or almond milk can give your body the proper nutrients it needs to recover from your workout and keep you going throughout the day.
- Boost you daily nutritional intake with superfoods. Add nutrient-dense foods — superfoods — to your daily diet. Superfoods are rich in antioxidants, minerals and nutrients. They provide valuable health benefits and can help prevent disease. Spinach, chia seeds, eggs, avocados, blueberries, acai berries, almonds and beans are a few examples of superfoods.
- Eat more whole foods and less processed foods. You may be surprised by what is in some of your favorite processed and packaged foods. Processed and packaged foods often have lower nutritional value along with unhealthy ingredients and/or additives. Whole foods are foods that remain in their natural form such as fresh fruits and vegetables. Whole foods offer superior nutrition and contain no unhealthy additives making them a healthier choice.
With proper fuel, your body will be energized and perform better. You will feel healthier too. Be sure to visit our Facebook page and share your own tips on how you fuel your workouts with nutrition!
Ignite your inner warrior and have a blast of fun too. Feel the power of music and action as you punch, kick and block your way to strength, endurance and balance in this new kickboxing experience.
Everyone from beginner to advanced will walk away from this class feeling empowered and motivated.
No sign-up necessary. Karri Stearns leads Cardio Kickboxing on Friday mornings at 8:45am in the Aerobic Studio beginning Friday, August 8th.
Avera Outpatient Physical Therapy at the Avera McKennan Fitness Center has expanded hours, services and staff available so that all of your physical therapy needs can be met at this location, including and not limited to:
- Womens Health
Also, it’s now easier to manage the cost of physical therapy care with the recent change to a clinic copay model. In most cases, an appointment with a physical therapist only requires only a clinic copay. In the past, such charges instead were applied to your deductible. Health insurance plans vary, so it’s important to check with your provider regarding your specific plan and coverage.
Stop in or call 322-5080 to schedule an appointment.
From Gail Hanna, AMFC Member and Personal Training Client, nominating Andrea Sprik for Fitness Hero…
“Several years ago, I went to her group class & she was so professional. She knew her material well & was able to keep many people doing many exercises. Today I was in need of someone to help me with hip bursitis. My doctor had given me some exercises to do with a trainer. Once again I came to the Avera Fitness Center. I was happy to find Andrea still here. She is so dedicated to fitness & knows her profission so well. She has helped me work through my pain. I no longer have any problems with my hips. She also has helped strengthen my wrists after a painful bought of pseudo-gout due to osteo arthritis. She has made my 7th decade a much happier life. She keeps me will greased!”