Talk to the Fitness Specialists to get the scoop on this year’s Turkey Burn taking place beginning November 1. Do you see a new T-shirt in your future? You could be a Turkey Burn Winner!
It’s gonna be HOT!
Avera McKennan Fitness Center Members: Share your love of fitness with your friends and tell ‘em to tell us you sent ‘em when they come to join AMFC!
When your friend joins us now through Friday, October 31 and tells us they’re joining because of you, you will receive credit of one month’s individual membership dues.*
*Incentive applies only to referrals noted at the time the new member signs up for open-ended membership. It is not retroactive and does not apply to short-term or extended guest usage. Incentive credit will be applied in December.
AMFC MindBody instructors, Glenda Baker and Deb Yoder, invite you to experience the healing power of sound and meditation through complimentary singing bowl sessions that they are offering in October.
Sound vibration and frequency generated by “singing bowls” has been used for centuries in eastern medicine. Over the last several decades, western medicine has tested and proven the efficacy of singing bowls, measuring their effects on brain waves, electromagnetic energy and the neural network within the human body.
Sessions involve a relaxing sound therapy meditation with Tibetan bowls being played on and around the body. You can experience the remarkable sensations and calming, healing effects of these sessions by scheduling a complimentary half-hour session with either Deb Yoder or Glenda Baker. Stop by Member Services to inquire about available sessions and get contact info to make an appointment directly with Glenda or Deb.
Schedule beginning Wednesday, October 1:
Wednesday 7:00 to 8:00pm
Thursday 7:00 to 8:00p
Tuesday 7:30 to 8:30pm
Monday and Wednesday 1:00 to 3:00pm
Friday 7:15 to 8:15am
Saturdays 10:30am – noon (single or small group sessions)
Additional early mornings may be negotiable
5 Tips to Fuel Your Workout With Nutrition As you know, exercise places many demands on your body. Giving your body the fuel it needs can enhance your workout and your health. Here are some simple tips that can help you maximize your workout with proper nutrition.
- Avoid drinking your calories. Drink water instead. Sugary drinks and artificial sweeteners are unhealthy. Water is a better option to keep you healthy, hydrated and energized. For ways to add flavor naturally, consider slices of lemon, orange or cucumber.
- Enhance your performance with a light meal before working out. Exercising on an empty stomach can prevent you from being able to work out as long or as hard. Fueling up with complex carbohydrates will give your body an endurance boost and increase your performance. Whole grain cereals and breads are good options for fueling up prior to a workout.
- Continue to replenish your body after your workout. A post workout nutrition shake or smoothie can help with muscle recovery and repair. Smoothies and shakes made with fresh fruits and/or veggies and proteins such as whey, nuts and/or almond milk can give your body the proper nutrients it needs to recover from your workout and keep you going throughout the day.
- Boost you daily nutritional intake with superfoods. Add nutrient-dense foods — superfoods — to your daily diet. Superfoods are rich in antioxidants, minerals and nutrients. They provide valuable health benefits and can help prevent disease. Spinach, chia seeds, eggs, avocados, blueberries, acai berries, almonds and beans are a few examples of superfoods.
- Eat more whole foods and less processed foods. You may be surprised by what is in some of your favorite processed and packaged foods. Processed and packaged foods often have lower nutritional value along with unhealthy ingredients and/or additives. Whole foods are foods that remain in their natural form such as fresh fruits and vegetables. Whole foods offer superior nutrition and contain no unhealthy additives making them a healthier choice.
With proper fuel, your body will be energized and perform better. You will feel healthier too. Be sure to visit our Facebook page and share your own tips on how you fuel your workouts with nutrition!
Ignite your inner warrior and have a blast of fun too. Feel the power of music and action as you punch, kick and block your way to strength, endurance and balance in this new kickboxing experience.
Everyone from beginner to advanced will walk away from this class feeling empowered and motivated.
No sign-up necessary. Karri Stearns leads Cardio Kickboxing on Friday mornings at 8:45am in the Aerobic Studio beginning Friday, August 8th.